Friday, November 12, 2010

Wine and Magix

I am not happy that the linux video software does not do these slide shows that I like to make with photographs. Today I am going to try to run Magix video using wine. My first problem was this statement "Applications are installed under Wine the same way you would in Windows: by running the installer." SO, I put the CD in the CD player and open with File Manager. "Double-click on the installer, just like in Windows!" Double click on setup.exe and the archive manager starts. So... where does wine come in? I am being intentionally stupid here. I suppose I have to open with Wine.But do I have to configure it first, after I have installed it? I see that a directory was created in my home called, .wine. I have recorded the output to a file using tree -f > wine_directory_tree.txt , which can be viewed at the link:  wine directory tree.

As can be seen, the directory structure mirrors that of the default Windows desktop (which I do not like, but never mind that for now). Instead of double clicking, I right click on setup.exe and choose "Open with" and then the list item: Wine Windows Program Loader. This immediately opens the install window for Magix. Everything looks ok until I get some errors "directory Z:" not found. It looks like directory Z: is associated with the root directory, "/"  which is not accessible from a user. I proceeded anyway and the install finished.

I found an icon on my desktop. Clicking it produced nothing. This is the command that it was trying to run (by looking in properties->application tab):
env WINEPREFIX="/home/kderose/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files\MAGIX\Video_deluxe_2008\Videodeluxe.exe" 

Running on the command line gives me these errors:

err:module:import_dll Library MFC42.DLL (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\MAGIX\\Video_deluxe_2008\\MFL.dll") not found
err:module:import_dll Library MFL.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\MAGIX\\Video_deluxe_2008\\Videodeluxe.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\MAGIX\\Video_deluxe_2008\\Videodeluxe.exe" failed, status c0000135


Getting nowhere. Tried the beta wine (1.3.6) with no luck, just different errors. I am able to run notepad and Putt Putt travels through Time (with some display skips and jumps).

I am going to do something stupid and update my kernel to 10.04. Did I forget to mention that I was running this on Ubuntu 9.10? This has always gone wrong in the past. That's why I started writing notes in a blog instead of a file.

No comments:

Post a Comment