Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Apache...again

Working on Ubuntu with KDE desktop today. This is the same computer and the same installation of Ubuntu. I have two users, one who uses Gnome and the other who uses KDE. I am logged on as KDE today. Recall that in the past, I have been experimenting with a KDE desktop Ubuntu from within a Virtual Box. 
The meandering work flow today started with my search for a linux based photo manager. This led me to  here, which led me to Marble, which led me to watch a video about Marble and then have lunch, where I listened to Rachel Maddow talking about an error that Google Earth had in its database. Interesting reading. However, I am interested in Marble because it runs on Linux without any of the nonsense I get from Google Earth. Back to the article about photo managers, I try out DigiKam and find that I like it pretty much. I like the metatags which hopefully will help me organize my photographs into a website. This brought me to php. Now, I had already done quite a lot of this already using Google Maps (mapping out the routes of my vacation), but it is not working in my current KDE-based Ubuntu environment. Even though apache is running. I am writing all this here because I am sure that I have been through this before. My physical workspace spans several notebooks and two computers (each with 2 or 3 OS's) on different floors of my house. I cannot find anything.

Running this (which I got from running ps -ef | grep apache2 at the command line):

#/etc/apache2$ sudo /usr/sbin/apache2 -k restart
 
gives me this error: apache2: bad user name ${APACHE_RUN_USER}

Ubuntu forums suggest:

#sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

where I get the usual error:

 apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1 for ServerName

because I am beginning and have not changed anything.

I have been tinkering with Apache for quite a while, installed and uninstalled several times. On some OS's it is httpd and others, apache2. Now, I cannot get Php working.

Ok, after some troubleshooting, it looks like php is working. I can run index.php from the main directory (where the original "It Works" index.html file is located). My http directory indexing seems to be at fault. 

No comments:

Post a Comment