Monday, May 21, 2012

Ubuntu 12 Install

Installed Ubuntu 12 today. I spent all last week cleaning up 12 years of backups to make space on my backup drive. After the install and reboot, I got the dreaded Error 15 File not Found. So, I rebooted and tried the openSUSE OS. That failed also because it was trying to fsck the new Ubuntu partition (with a new, as yet unknown to opensuse uuid number). I get frustrated when the software can't just skip over these little snags and let me into the workspace where I am better able to deal with it.

So, after some searching led me to the old grub vs. grub2 problem, I decided to just re-install openSUSE and let it find the UBUNTU partition. It did not find the partition and I had to use YAST to look for it. Note that when adding Ubuntu to the list, it asks me if I want to run the file checker. I did not. I checked the menu.lst afterwards and rebooted. After being sent to an ugly text screen (old grub-like menu) I was able to enter the new Ubuntu desktop.

Well, maybe I should try and understand grub2 again, but I cannot find anything about booting the system in the System Settings. I would like a nice screen and not have to go through two menus.

$ grub-install -v
 grub-install (GRUB) 1.99-21ubuntu3
 

$sudo update-grub

Generating grub.cfg ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-23-generic-pae
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-23-generic-pae
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Found Windows 7 (loader) on /dev/sda1
Found openSUSE 11.4 (x86_64) on /dev/sdb8
done

No comments:

Post a Comment